Not Cardiac drift? 12/22/11
Maybe what I thought Cardiac drift is not what really Cardiac drift is. After it happened on Tuesday, I decided to do some research again and it does not totally fit. But I am going to describe what happens to me and pass onto general advice to my fellow challengers because Coach does mention in some DVD programs. It happened first in Melon Patch ride on August 7, 2010.
In Texas, there is a famous ride called Hotter’N Hell Hundred in late August. Therefore a lot of long-distance rides to get ready for the event happen in horrible Texas heat in August. As I was riding, trying to catch up with people as I didn’t lose the course and get lost, I found my chest suddenly feel tight. First I checked the heart rate monitor strap was too tight. Then I checked my workout bra. Then I checked my jersey. Nothing was snag or anything. I checked my heart rate and it is not even zone 4. It was under AT. I stopped at the next rest stop and commented on the video and then I completed the ride just fine (although I missed the turn for 72 miles and made it to 42 mile-ride instead.)
The following time when I met with my cycling coach Keith, he gave it a name, Cardiovascular drift. Surpringly, the first thing he mentioned was that I was not hyderated. He learned about this while he was going through Coaching certification. I also read Wikipedia entry of Cardiovascular drift.
Now I learned that my tightness in chest may not be different from cardio drift. Or maybe because of it, my heart cannot sustain then my riding intensity comes down then the heart rate comes down, but the tightness stays. Coach Keith said cardio drift is common in early period in the season and you can easily imagine why Coach Troy warns to indoor cyclists. Have plenty of fluids and use a fan or work out in a well-ventilated area. It will all lead into his ultimate advice of “Train safe and train smart.”
In Texas, there is a famous ride called Hotter’N Hell Hundred in late August. Therefore a lot of long-distance rides to get ready for the event happen in horrible Texas heat in August. As I was riding, trying to catch up with people as I didn’t lose the course and get lost, I found my chest suddenly feel tight. First I checked the heart rate monitor strap was too tight. Then I checked my workout bra. Then I checked my jersey. Nothing was snag or anything. I checked my heart rate and it is not even zone 4. It was under AT. I stopped at the next rest stop and commented on the video and then I completed the ride just fine (although I missed the turn for 72 miles and made it to 42 mile-ride instead.)
The following time when I met with my cycling coach Keith, he gave it a name, Cardiovascular drift. Surpringly, the first thing he mentioned was that I was not hyderated. He learned about this while he was going through Coaching certification. I also read Wikipedia entry of Cardiovascular drift.
Now I learned that my tightness in chest may not be different from cardio drift. Or maybe because of it, my heart cannot sustain then my riding intensity comes down then the heart rate comes down, but the tightness stays. Coach Keith said cardio drift is common in early period in the season and you can easily imagine why Coach Troy warns to indoor cyclists. Have plenty of fluids and use a fan or work out in a well-ventilated area. It will all lead into his ultimate advice of “Train safe and train smart.”


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home