Sunday, August 08, 2010

Melon Patch 42 miles (oops), August 7, 2010 8/8/10

Melon Patch 42 miles route at MapMyRide.com

I swear I meant to ride 72 miles at Melon Patch ride . But I ended up taking a wrong turn and only did 42 instead. Tony and I shot the video.
On YouTube .mp4
On Vimeo HD
Please take a look!

As the first 15 miles or so for 18, 42 and 72 were the same, Tony and I rode together. We were at the front with 72-milers at the start. I think what happened was that, by the time I departed with Tony, I was with 42 mile people and I ended up following the shorter route. Tony was one of the first people to finish from 18 miles. Congratulations!

I am rather disappointed that I missed the turn and ended up only doing 42, but I decided to think that it was meant to be. It was a very, very hot day and if I tried to complete 72 miles, it would have been at least 2pm by the time I finished. That would have been triple digit temperature. Tony didn't have to feel rushed getting home as I finished early, so he treated me lunch at Dairy Queen in Stephenville. We also got to pick up Lady on Saturday instead of waiting until Sunday evening.

The strangest part of my ride was immediately after I departed with Tony. I figured I had a lot to catch up and I didn't get lost. So I was riding fast and maybe it was a lot of ascending rolling hills. I started to feel very tight around the chest. I thought maybe I got too big and my Betty Boop jersey feels too small. Or something wrong with Garmin strap. Or my workout bra is too tight. My heart rate was around 160, which is not unusual for me when I ride. Maybe it was heat. Or maybe I ate too much. I realized this was unusual, so I slowed down and gradually my heart rate came down to 140's. The tightness still didn't go away. So I stopped for a moment. Luckily the rest stop #3 was shortly after when I made this stop, so I took extra long rest in the shade. And I decided that if I am doing 72 miles, I had better keep my heart rate in zone 2, not zone 4! Then everything kind of got back to normal. I found some people to ride behind them (unpaid coach's advice) and most of the time I got behind on-road help people from Lone Mad Duck Cyclery in Grandbury. The lady was cheering everybody up and teaching me how to paceline. It was such a pleasant experience!

While I was doing the last-minute checking before the registration, I found that Lone Star Ride has minimum fundraising goal of $500! So I decided to give up. One the same day, there is a ride in Waco to benefit Be The Match Foundation®, formerly the Marrow Foundation, called Waco Wild West Century. Longer routes go by the Mars Snackfood candy factory, and sounds like they will be giving away Skittles at the rest stop. 100-mile route will pass former President George W. Bush's Crawford Ranch! Keith seems to think I will be ready for century by then. Let's see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home