back, back, back 7/26/04
I have never been an athlete, but I am learning a lot about taking care of back while various exercising. Although I have always been overweight, I never really had serious back problem. Knock on wood.
1) Weight training
Today was Back and Biceps day. Back must be one of the biggest muscle and I can lift most weights. 30 pound DB for Shoulder Shrug and 70 pound BB for Bend Row.
I have to check myself in mirror when I do bench exercises. Especially DB Back Row, BB Bent over row and Tricpes Kick Back. I use a bench with back support when I do shoulder exercises with DB.
2) Stretch
Of course, on Back day, I need to stretch back. However I often end up doing stretch on muscles that I didn't work on that day. Back stretch needs to be done along with hamstring almost everyday. Besides, because of the promise of Wheel pose, I make sure I do back bend as well as forward bend. Doing camel pose on stretch mat with shoes on is a lot easier. So far doing Wheel on stretch mat is necessary because I still have to put some weight on the head. It is getting better as my back seems to be lifting up a little more these days. Problem seems to be more on shoulders. (another entry, grrr)
3) Tai-Chi
Tom constantly reminds us to keep our back straight without hunching over, without reaching too much. He said "the wall is closer than you think."
4) Sit and Reach
Sit and reach test is a measurement of seated forward bend and health field takes measurement of flexibility with this. So forward bend must be a real deal. I feel like I may get a little further than at the beginning of the semester. The test is this Thursday. Let's see...
1) Weight training
Today was Back and Biceps day. Back must be one of the biggest muscle and I can lift most weights. 30 pound DB for Shoulder Shrug and 70 pound BB for Bend Row.
I have to check myself in mirror when I do bench exercises. Especially DB Back Row, BB Bent over row and Tricpes Kick Back. I use a bench with back support when I do shoulder exercises with DB.
2) Stretch
Of course, on Back day, I need to stretch back. However I often end up doing stretch on muscles that I didn't work on that day. Back stretch needs to be done along with hamstring almost everyday. Besides, because of the promise of Wheel pose, I make sure I do back bend as well as forward bend. Doing camel pose on stretch mat with shoes on is a lot easier. So far doing Wheel on stretch mat is necessary because I still have to put some weight on the head. It is getting better as my back seems to be lifting up a little more these days. Problem seems to be more on shoulders. (another entry, grrr)
3) Tai-Chi
Tom constantly reminds us to keep our back straight without hunching over, without reaching too much. He said "the wall is closer than you think."
4) Sit and Reach
Sit and reach test is a measurement of seated forward bend and health field takes measurement of flexibility with this. So forward bend must be a real deal. I feel like I may get a little further than at the beginning of the semester. The test is this Thursday. Let's see...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home