Saturday, January 10, 2015

Fight Back 5K 1/10/15


Happy New Year of Sheep!  My first race was 5K in McKinney.  When I saw the event notice, I thought I would like this one.  It was close and looks like established enough to draw just enough crowds and I don’t have to worry about traffic nor parking.  One of my 2015 goals is to break 30 minutes in 5K, so this was my first attempt.  After getting into running, maybe I became good at one thing.  After small amount of fried rice for breakfast with coffee, I ran around the neighborhood and had a good bathroom visit.  But I knew I needed one more good visit, so I chucked down Starbucks instant iced coffee and hopped on Tony the Chauffeur’s vehicle.  All club rides were cancelled this morning, so he was able to accompany.  The start was at a church on a street that sounded familiar.  After seeing it on the map, I realized we used to ride on the street with a bike shop ride. We arrived at the church about an hour before the start, just about when on-site registration started.  The booths were all set up and moderate volume of music was already going.  I visited the church bathroom and that took care of all the stress.  I started my warm up around the parking lot with a few people.  I made another visit to the bathroom, luckily still empty and changed my pad.  Now I am golden. 


I heard an announcement and headed to where the voice is from.  Lesan and Carlo noticed me and I was surprised that they were there.  They are a couple of elite athletes in our cycling club.  They both went to 70.3 World Championship and they are racing and making results all the time.  Tony joined while getting ready for his partial walk/run.  The event started with speeches and Mayor Brian Loughmiller had a few words and asked for a moment of silence for people who passed because of cancer.  I have known him for a while; he used to show up the bike shop ride on Saturday (we frequented on Sunday) and he hosts Mayor’s race in Circuit road race and we went to watch one year.  But this was my first time actually seeing him in person.  City of McKinney has an office to organize recreational events now and it has increased the number of quality athletic events in the city. National anthem followed and it was done by a cappella with four men.  I enjoyed it very much.  But even more fun was the warm up.  The video below starts with me having a lot of fun.


The race started on time at 9am with Mayor’s air horn.  A lot of people passed me and I was just focusing on my cadence.  The course was easy to figure out and we quickly turned into quiet residential neighborhood.  On the course map, there was not any indication of water station, so I brought my bottle belt.  I was glad to see water station maybe less than a mile in.  Nobody was taking on the way in, but it is my way of taking a quick break.  We made a few more turns and I started to thinking maybe I can pass certain people on the way back.  I checked my Garmin once in a while and checked my cadence was kept high and was surprised that my heart rate stayed very high around 190-200 bpm.  On most runs, they will settle down after 15 minutes or so, but there was not sign of going down.  I kept my breathing steady pace.  I thought I was running well and maybe I can break 30 minutes today.  Once I saw the water station, I knew it was pretty close.  I started to pick up the pace a little and when I saw the last turn to the church, I really picked up the pace and I looked at the finish clock.  It didn’t look like PR, but I was glad to finish. 

I quickly found Tony and he was with Carlo and Lesan.  Carlo ended 2nd and he was excitedly describing how the race went.  They both took their AG with nice medal and some reward.  I didn’t make PR nor break 30 minutes, but this means I am just as good as last running season.  AG 5th out of 24. I will get my first 10K race done for confidence about the distance and will keep working on speed and technique towards the A race in fall.  THANK YOU, Tigre for being a great Sherpa and faithful Spinervals teammates for cheering!  Keep on keeping on!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home