hooked on cucumber salad 7/17/06
As Donnie grows some cucumbers in his home garden, I started to explore some recipes on Food TV. I found one from Paula Deen and I am hooked. Simply slice and basically drain the moisture. Mix that with mayo, sour cream and dill. I don't always have dill at hand and I use, yeah, JAPANESE mayo. I know it is not exactly too healthy using 1/2 cup mayo for 2 cucumbers. When I am hungry, coming back from Sears at closing, it is easy for me to clean up the whole batch, for two cucumbers. Currently I am debating what to do with the skin. Original Paula's instruction is to peel it. The result is you get really soft cucumber slices. I don't recall the occasion that Japanese peel cucumbers. Of course, we use so called English cucumbers, slender versions, so it is slightly different. (Costs twice as much here in the US.) Although creamy and soft cucumber salad is good in itself, I kind of miss the crunch in cucumber. Of course, in the US, you can see the wax they put on cucumber skin, so maybe it is a good idea to peel. Last time, I thought I would compromise and peel only half, in alternative vertical strips. I have seen this done quite often and it looks pretty, too. With Donnie's home grown cucumbers, even peeling the skin seems wasteful. Let's see what the King says about this when I prepare the dish.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home