Thursday, May 19, 2005

Mexico III (Tropical fruits and pumpkin seeds) 5/18/05

Regular readers may recall my obsession with mango (mango smoothie entries) and roasted pumpkin seeds (around Halloween time). Although Cd. Juarez is in the state of Chihuahua where there are a lot of ranches and is famous for its vaqueros, it is still Mexico and seems there is influence from coastal parts of the country. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw raw octopus and oysters were being sold at the store front! And I couldn't believe how tasty guava (guayaba) flavor of La Michoacana ice cream (paletas). (I must thank Javier for helping me identifying the names. Because I didn't write them down, I didn't recall at all....) I also found a store that sells dried foods. They were selling salted (salado) and unsalted (crudo) pumpkin seeds. If my memory serves me right, they were selling unsalted ones (which I would LOVE to have) for about 30 pesos a kilo. With my Spanish, I got as far as I will be in trouble if I try to cross the border with them. So, I had to pass. WHAT A SHAME! However Javier told me that there is a store locally where I can buy paletas. I am going to check it out soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home