Back bending and wheel 10/14/04
I did a presentation in Eric's yoga class. I think I scored A (yeah), so I am going to repeat it here. People usually associate flexibility with forward bending. In fact, pre and post test of Debbie's Flexibility Training class was to measure distance of seated forward bending. We do a lot of forward bending in daily routines. Reading, writing, typing on computer, driving and picking things up and so forth. What I value from yoga is the opposite from that: back bending. Stretching muscles in opposite way with counter pose is a necessary part of designing yoga practice, so you have to do extra back bending consciously.
In Eric's class, we do a lot of back bending. Sphinx, Cobra, Upward Facing dog series, half crescent in sun salutation, fish, reverse table, reverse plank. We also did camel, upward facing bow and shoulder bridge. Wheel is the next step from shoulder bridge. (And I demonstrate my incomplete wheel here.) I like Eric's modification about supporting the hips by using hands to lift more. I can only go so far and my head still doesn't leave the floor. But eventually the head is off the floor and you should be able to extend the arms completely. Then your feet and arms come closer.
As I said about counter pose, after strong pose like this, you have to make sure to get some forward bending to balance. Double knee to chest, dead bug, downward facing dog are possible consecutive poses. Benefits of Wheel pose is that it strengthens arms, legs and opens up chest and you have to be careful if you have high or low blood pressure, wrist problems, headache.
(Now wasn't that an "A" presentation?)
In Eric's class, we do a lot of back bending. Sphinx, Cobra, Upward Facing dog series, half crescent in sun salutation, fish, reverse table, reverse plank. We also did camel, upward facing bow and shoulder bridge. Wheel is the next step from shoulder bridge. (And I demonstrate my incomplete wheel here.) I like Eric's modification about supporting the hips by using hands to lift more. I can only go so far and my head still doesn't leave the floor. But eventually the head is off the floor and you should be able to extend the arms completely. Then your feet and arms come closer.
As I said about counter pose, after strong pose like this, you have to make sure to get some forward bending to balance. Double knee to chest, dead bug, downward facing dog are possible consecutive poses. Benefits of Wheel pose is that it strengthens arms, legs and opens up chest and you have to be careful if you have high or low blood pressure, wrist problems, headache.
(Now wasn't that an "A" presentation?)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home