Prediction Run 5K 3/11/14
Spring break! I get to do things that I don't have time for during
the school week. So that is when I cram my threshold testing at the gym
and other fun things. Prediction Run with Plano Pacers is held monthly
Tuesday at 7pm. Normally that is too close to my bedtime, but I figured I
will give it a try. The whole course is no watch allowed. This will
take out my dependency to watching heart rate and also the distance as well. You
tell how fast you are going to run and whoever comes closest to the prediction
is a winner! What a fun concept!
I have had high hopes... doing the best time calculation from
recent races and posted to Spinervals friends if I should say 31 minutes flat,
31:30 or maybe in between 31:15. The catch was that I had run test the
same morning and Coach Todd thought I would be tired from it. I did take
a short nap and spent all day getting ready and feeling nervous about it, not
being too productive about anything. When I posted that to Spinervals Team, Cara
immediately guessed time, followed by my Buddy Pete, so I decided to open a
contest officially.
I checked out the start location. It starts at a city library very
close to home. In fact, I knew it would be on the trail that I like to
ride and have used it for training ride a lot. I thought I didn't know
the course, but after hearing basic instructions, I realized I know one side of
the river very well. But on the bike. Never ran and never minded
distance and what is where. The temperature was usual crazy Texas
weather. It was going up close to 80 degrees that afternoon and the cold
front is coming the following couple of days. Walking around in
long-sleeve T-shirt, it felt very hot. I remembered Coach Todd said about
hydrating well before races, so I started to drink well that afternoon. At
this point, I still assumed that there will be water station in halfway point,
but I packed a couple of clean bottles, one with water with ice and the other
with Accelearde with ice for recovery drink.
I got to the library parking lot and there are already people sitting
around in a small table setup. I realized that is the event and got
myself #3 and used the bathroom in the library. I tried to peek at the
paperwork who is saying what time and thought about cheating pinpointing
somebody who claimed to be the same time I said, but at this point people were
claiming way too fast for my time. Then soon a van full of family was
unloaded and people started to make a long line to sign up. After all,
the temperature cooled a little bit and the breeze was feeling pretty nice. And
there were a lot of people on the trail. I saw a lot of people on various
types of bike, walkers, runners and family just enjoying being outside. When
I told Tony that the race is starting over PM, I saw people picking up number
80 and bigger. I observed people around me and they were carrying water
bottles. So I went back to the car and grabbed a water bottle and decided
to copy Alan the Chief. Then the organizers started to speak and said
this has been the biggest turnout ever. After all, the event is free for
everybody even non-members of Plano Pacers. Then it was time for us to
move up to the start line.
The start line was a little walk down the trail under the tunnel and over
the bridge. This is the side I never rode. I thought I was running
in a good pace, because I needed to take care of the breathing and running
cadence coordinated. Because I was editing my video with Pointers
Sisters, "I am so excited", 180 cadence was ingrained in my brain. I
decided I am doing a good pace. Soon I recognized the dog park and
realized that is the left turn off the bridge we never have made. We
cross the bridge, passed through the dog park and went the side of the river we
always go south for coffee ride. When I saw the library on the other side
of the river, I estimated that is about 1/3 of the way and took a sip of water
and walked for a while. I started to wonder which bridge we are going to
cross. There are a couple of places that cars could come, although
usually light traffic and came to my favorite part of the trail: the river is
wider and the water birds are around. I expected to see very fast people
on the other side of the river, but didn't start seeing for a long while. I
took that as I still have a long way to the turn rather than I was doing a good
time! We took the brown bridge where the river starts to narrow. I
figured this is probably the second mile, so finished up the bottle and walked
for a while. About this time, I noticed this couple, who walk and I pass,
then they surge for a while, pass me and then start walking. We went back
and forth probably half a dozen time. They looked younger and fit, but I
was thinking, I am running and doing my race! It didn't feel necessarily
long, but I kept my expectations in check that the finish line doesn't come
very quickly. Then the lady of the couple mentioned, maybe five more
minutes. But I still was not sure if I should believe her. I
finally spotted a large space with lots of cars with a couple of flags. That
HAS TO be the library we started! The couple was now both behind me and I
saw an older gentleman in yellow shirt. Since I claim finishing strong is
my thing as an endurance gal, I pushed once I saw finish line, one last time. I
thought I heard the number 33. Once I finished I tried to take a peek on
the paperwork that a lady was keeping everybody's time and bib number.
Now to the prediction
contest: Cara Smith jumped in first saying I was tired after the test, 31:47. Then Buddy
Pete followed with HUGE confidence with 30:54. Followed by Ginny: 31:13, Judy: 31:05, Kristi: 30:58 and Shaun: 31:21. You, friends are all kind. You gave me very good time. However, the truth is I was nowhere near
making my personal best! GRRR. 33:25 predicted 115 seconds difference from
predicted 31:30, making me prediction rank of 54th out of 76. If this were actual race, my finish order was
47th out of 76. If you see
the official result, you can see the best predictions are in fact, single
digit, but how people miss prediction is funny.
Fast people predict too slow and slow people predict too fast and all
mixes. Sorry to disappoint the team this
time, but I expect to be able to run this race again in May. Will you all guess my time for fun again?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home