Monday, January 09, 2012

Charity rides done and to be done 1/9/12

One of the aspect of cycling that didn’t expect when I picked up from Tony was that a lot of events are organized to benefit good cause. I was following fellow 32-day challenger, Derek Couse, and thinking, wow, what an over-achieving triathlete! So I never dreamed anything like his follow-up post to Rick Sobona’s “PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!” entry. In the entry, Rick referred to how Lance Armstrong lost weight and asked how many of us actually want to get cancer and go through chemo. Then Derek came forward to tell us his first-hand experience going through two rounds of chemotherapy himself and shared his story on John Wayne Cancer Foundation, Team Duke page.

He mentions that he is cancer-free for ten years now and now I read his story, he had the same kind, testicular cancer. As Rick commented, I am so glad that he is still with us and with his family. From what I can see, Derek adores his son, Hunter and he seems like getting a head start of being a healthy and fit man! If I remember correctly, he completed full-length Ironman Coeur d'Alene last June (2.4 miles swim, 112 miles on the bike, and 26.2 miles of running!!! :-0)! What an accomplishment to celebrate his 40th birthday and 10 year cancer free! As you can see, he raised close to $2,500.00 for the Foundation by his impressive athletic achievement!

Speaking of Lance, I live in the town he grew up, Plano and live in the state he has his main residence now, Texas. Therefore cycling community here is very aware of his LiveStrong Foundation, and its famous ride in October. This year is October 19-21 (always falls around my birthday). Austin must be one of the nicest cities to ride in Texas, if not of the nation and it is the nicest time of the year for bicycle ride. This ride goes on the list, NOT done, for me as it is in the middle of the semester and Austin is just close enough and far enough to invest the weekend while in school.

Another very famous charity ride around here is MS 150 to benefit National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The one in North Texas starts from Dr. Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, gets to Texas Motor Speedway in Ft. Worth the end of the first day and finishes the ride in Downtown Ft. Worth. I understand there are many of this kind all over the nation (lots in East Coast). The North Texas event spreads into two days and this year’s event is May 5-6. Because the semester finishes up one week earlier than usual, this weekend falls onto the final exam week instead of the weekend before the last day of instruction! (Can’t be riding that much and teach three classes following day!) I also haven’t done the one-way kind of ride. But it is possible and feasible. Because one of my goals is (refer to my 1/3 entry) to “participate in one public ride a month starting with Palm Springs in February until November with routes in 50 miles or longer”, Tony and I keep this ride as May ride possibility.

Also national and my very first metric century ride (video below)

was done with Tour de Cure. This is to benefit American Diabetes Association. Tony and I are already signed up for July 28th, 2012. Last year, we were both on Team Red and Tony got to wear Team Red jersey being a rider with diabetes. I often see Tour de Cure jerseys at other rides or group rides and they tell me that they have done at other locations. One I know in Albuquerque, NM, is a 100 mile one. I will definitely do that once I retire there! And another version I heard was from Michigan, where the ride lasts 4 days for 400 miles or so! WOW.

Another memorable one is the very first public ride to benefit Make a Wish Foundation North Texas Chapter called Wish 100. In 2010, Tony raised enough contribution to get invited to the Ink Party (video below) where we met Wish-kids and key people for the event and organizations.


They are so many other foundations that I could be mentioning here. Coach Troy benefits Wounded Warrior Project by donating part of sales of Competition 36.0 - Warrior Training.

And I will have to participate Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation ride in Tuscon (home of Coach Troy!) This would be tribute to my local cycling coach, Keith Rust, who has been dealing with Type 1 Diabetes himself and organizes and coaches a team of cyclists for the ride.

I need to retire NOW to participate in more rides!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home