Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Making peace with Garmin ForeRunner 305 7/6/10

It has been a while since my life with Garmin ForeRunner 305 started. As I am usually the person who straight goes to "Options", I have been playing with device for quite some time.

My initial shock was that the heart rate monitor is not ready by any of the gym machines. That is when I decided that I can't hand-me-down my pink polar. However after all, it is quite workable and now I think this is part of Greg's marketing scheme that he keeps me with MyCoach program and eNewLeaf. Hehehe.

Not in Polar: It is GPS!
Here is the data from the Garmin software about a short walk we did in Albuquerque. Click here for the full size.. I can download route maps from MapMyRide.com, upload there, the device tells me the route on location and when I get lost, it will tell me the direction to get back to the marked location.

Not in Polar: Incredible bike computer and more!
My pink catseye bike computer lacked cadence feature. Now I have reliable computer. In one screen, I show cadence, current speed, heart rate and distance. Another screen, I show elevation (it is not as much fun in TX), grade, burnt calories and average speed. In the third screen I have time of the day, timer (so that I know if I forgot to turn on and off timer or not) and heart rate. This screen, I use when I weight train. It is nice to have seconds reading as big as hour and minutes. People don't realize it is the seconds I need to look when I am holding plank. For running screen, I have heart rate, heart rate zone and timer when I run on treadmill. This one I don't need as much as I thought and you will read why in the next section.

Let Garmin guide my exercise!
When Greg upload cardio program to eNewLeaf, I can download it to the device! Then the device tells me warm up and cool down and tells me how the heart rate should go and tells me when it is too high or too low in the range. So as long as I have the device placed on the gym machine in visible place, I don't even need the print out of the program.

Some adjustments I have to go through:
1) Turn it off when not in use. Make sure it is charged.
2) Turn off GPS when exercising inside.
3) Download data to the software and upload to eNewLeaf.
4) Not pink.

But overall, I am quite happy with the purchase. Of course 310XT is better for these reasons (for now I can live with).
1) Longer battery life
2) You can swim in it.
3) Wirelessly connects to computer instead of USB

Particular thanks to DC Rainmaker to post detailed review of Garmin devices. You are awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home