My request to Takami sensei 6/17/10
AP Reading is done and I am heading back to Dallas. AP Reading is turning to be big reunion for me that I look forward to every year. I met Takami sensei two years ago when I was serving as a Table Leader and she was working as a rater in my group. She didn't come last year and when I saw her this year, I noticed her face was slightly smaller. I asked and she said she had lost 10 pounds, but hit the plateau. But it was all without exercising. She adjusted some diet and did it over a year. It is a good way to lose, but of course, there is a limit. Two years ago, I weighed probably around 160, so she immediately noticed. So I decided to give (hopefully) solicited advice.
1) Get an exercise journal
I have been using The Ultimate Workout Log by Suzanne Schlosberg, so I showed my log to her. I explained I don't use the space exactly the way it is designed for, but the book itself has been working for me. I write down weight first thing in the morning for Morning rating section and write weight throughout the day in notes and workout data in nutrition section. Journals vary in style, size and some comes in combination with nutrition notes. I asked her to physically go to the bookstore to look around.
2) Go to shape.com and spend two hours
After reading first pages of any exercise journal, Takami sensei will get a lesson on goal setting, but she probably needs plans and exercise ideas. I was not sure if she had a gym membership at all and what her goal could be. Shape.com has tools to calculate calories (even it is guestimate), simple test to determine your fitness level and even customize your exercise plans, giving you choice of how much time you could spend and complete with photos sometimes with video. I can spend hours at the site, so I hope Takami sensei likes it, too.
3) Look at FDA label
I just asked her to look before she buys food and eats food.
I am curious what she comes up with and look forward to seeing her again at the next year's reading, if not before.
1) Get an exercise journal
I have been using The Ultimate Workout Log by Suzanne Schlosberg, so I showed my log to her. I explained I don't use the space exactly the way it is designed for, but the book itself has been working for me. I write down weight first thing in the morning for Morning rating section and write weight throughout the day in notes and workout data in nutrition section. Journals vary in style, size and some comes in combination with nutrition notes. I asked her to physically go to the bookstore to look around.
2) Go to shape.com and spend two hours
After reading first pages of any exercise journal, Takami sensei will get a lesson on goal setting, but she probably needs plans and exercise ideas. I was not sure if she had a gym membership at all and what her goal could be. Shape.com has tools to calculate calories (even it is guestimate), simple test to determine your fitness level and even customize your exercise plans, giving you choice of how much time you could spend and complete with photos sometimes with video. I can spend hours at the site, so I hope Takami sensei likes it, too.
3) Look at FDA label
I just asked her to look before she buys food and eats food.
I am curious what she comes up with and look forward to seeing her again at the next year's reading, if not before.


1 Comments:
Schneider sensei,
Thank you so much for sharing your expertise and inspiring story with me. I will go to a book store to purchase the exercise log, as you recommended. It is great to have "ii onna wo mezasu" buddies! I will keep in touch with you for updates!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home