Airport reality 6/8/09
I am finding out that I am going to be acting really weird, especially for food. While Tony dropped me off early at the airport per my request, I went up and down A-terminal of DFW airport to see what could be my food choice of the day. The safest thing seems to be what I have done. I went to Subway and asked to make Vege Delite 6 inch sub into salad. I did this in Austin when I had TFLA conference. Basically I get vegetable only salad. And just make sure to ask for right kind of dressing. For today, I didn’t know, so I just asked for vinegar. This is probably equivalent to getting salad mix bag from a grocery store and add fat free dressing. When I don’t know what I am eating rest of the day or one meal a day, I would have to go with this. I will go to the hotel and weigh it and use the number from salad pack with carrots and radish version.
Even when they have packed salad to sell, they have no adequate label. Sometimes all they have is the expiration date. Sometimes they have ingredients listed. Sometimes they have fat grams and calories. I am getting the feeling of that the nation is catching up with the idea of counting fat. A lot of frozen foods are rather low in fat. Yesterday my roommate, Kayo chan, asked me what I would eat for carbohydrates since I mentioned I no longer usually get to eat rice. I couldn’t answer because I usually only get to eat a couple of pieces of the healthiest bread. Cereals need to be picky and probably have to weigh very carefully for breakfast. I guess my answer to Kayo chan’s question is that you end up eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and that carbohydrates alone is usually good enough. I usually have to watch protein even because of the post-work out powder has 19 grams each time.
Packed salads are deceiving things. I have known that from Tom Thumb salad. While they have rather skimpy green, they usually have some protein and good cheese and very good tasting dressing. TT Cobb salad has 23 grams of fat and 13 grams of protein. My daily limit is 45 grams of fat and 103 grams of protein. Airport packed salads usually have real cheese and fair amount of protein and no labels like from the ones from grocery stores. Starbucks had pretty good labels on their fruit salad and its carbohydrate was over 40 grams!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home