Sunday, January 23, 2005

pumpkin seeds from Wild Oats 1/23/05

I made a quick visit to Wild Oats in the neighborhood to check out prices of brown rice and healthy snacks. Brown rice is close to twice as expensive as Whole Foods and none of healthy snacks are no way close to Wal-Mart's energy snack. So I looked around and bought about $3 worth of what I thought said "organic raw pumpkin seeds". They looked like pumpkin seeds except they were green. I didn't take too much notice of the color. I came back and followed my favorite roasted pumpkin seeds recipe. Soak in salt water for 8 hours and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I noticed the water was turning green!?! But I drained the water and put it in the pan with canola oil. Then I heard a pop, like popcorn! Pumpkin seeds are plump. Next thing I noticed was after about 15 minutes, I still don't smell that wonderful aroma, but started to smell like burning! I noticed the bottom of the pan left green residue. It is fairly tasty, I have to admit, but I don't know if will go through this process again. Grrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home