Tuesday, July 06, 2004

After holiday confusion and some answers 7/6/04

Today, in Debbie's class, a really cheerful woman showed up and started to converse with Debbie. I didn't remember her, but Debbie greeted by her first name. She thought she was coming to a Ball and Bends class. Debbie even got confused because she teaches so many classes! She thought it was Monday! I am not blaming her through. I showed up her Ball and Bends class for the first time and asked, "Oh, this is not Flexibility? Oops, the class is Tuesday and Thursday." Besides I drove to my gym this morning and told myself, I had to go to TVI instead. Well, this cheerful lady stayed whole time with another strength training with us!

The answer to my 7/2 entry about what class to take for the fall semester... I wondered if it is OK to miss 2 classes a month. I am expecting another crazy fall semester. She said OK, as long as I let her know. YEY. So I am going to stick with Debbie for another round of Flexibility training! Classes are shorter for 50 minutes, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It starts at 8am, so I should eat light breakfast, finish reading morning increment of email before I leave, hit the gym first, do at least cardio at the gym, then go to the class.

The answer to my 6/21 question about characters for Tai-chi. I am starting to read The Complete Idiot's Guide to T'ai Chi (I wish they had a better name...) and they have little windows "Know your Chinese". One said T'ai Chi Ch'uan or Taijiquan means "supreme ultimate fist". This fits 太極拳. Qi, life energy that Tom often refers to, must be 氣 (I am surprised to have this character in my IME!) and that is part of QiGong. So T'ai Chi must not be 泰氣 as this guy's T-shirt said. In case you don't know Japanese, Japanese uses Chinese characters. Getting used to how English deals with Chinese names have been a problem for me because in Japanese, Chinese names often show up in original characters, even they are a little off and not used in modern Japanese character set. English interpretation of Chinese pronunciation and Japanese interpretation are often different and therefore, sometimes I just want to scream, "Just show me the characters!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home